Calvin Pryor actually was at the Jets’ OTA practice open to the media this week, but he still was hard to find.
Pryor, a 2014 first-round pick, worked with the third-team defense during the practice and was relegated to a second practice field, where normally only younger players deep on the depth chart practice.
Jets coach Todd Bowles said there was nothing to read into Pryor playing on the second field, but it was hard not to.
“We move guys around every day,” Bowles said, before acknowledging there are veterans who never see that second field.
Pryor declined to speak to reporters after the practice.
Tuesday’s practice was just the latest sign of how much the Jets have soured on Pryor. The team selected safeties in the first and second round of last month’s draft. Those two — Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye — were with the first-team defense on Tuesday. Rontez Miles and Doug Middleton were the second-team safeties.
The Jets tried to trade Pryor unsuccessfully during the draft then declined to pick up the fifth-year option for 2018 in his contract. At this point, it feels like Pryor is a long shot to make it to the regular season with the team.
Pryor missed last Tuesday’s OTA practice, which was open to the media. He did show up the next day, though. Bowles was asked how Pryor has responded to the team drafting Adams and Maye.
“He’s working hard,” Bowles said. “There’s not much to respond to as a player. You’ve got seven draft picks. They’re going to be seven positions or less where there’s going to be a draft pick taken. You just work on doing your job.”
WR Robby Anderson declined to comment on his recent arrest in Florida for allegedly fighting police at a concert festival.
Anderson’s arraignment hearing is June 6, a day the Jets have an OTA. He would not say if he would be at the court hearing.
WR Eric Decker was not at Tuesday’s OTA. All Bowles would say was that it was voluntary.
The team waived TE Braedon Bowman…