COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Chad Holbrook is confident he’s the coach to lead South Carolina back to its NCAA Tournament success, despite missing the postseason for a second time in three seasons.
“I met with the team,” Holbrook said Tuesday. “We’re making progress and making plans to make sure that this doesn’t happen again in 2018.”
Because it has already happened twice in Holbrook’s five seasons has led to questions about his tenure.
Holbrook was the hand-picked successor in July 2012 for and by Ray Tanner, who was leaving as the Gamecocks baseball coach after national titles in 2010 and 2011 to become its athletic director. In 2015, Holbrook’s team ended a streak of 15 straight NCAA trips. A second miss in three seasons has left Holbrook the topic of angry radio callers and Twitter posters seeking change.
Holbrook said he has what it takes to get South Carolina’s righted and playing for additional championships.
“I feel great about who Chad Holbrook is. I have the utmost confidence in myself,” he said. “Have some things not gone our way? Absolutely. Sometimes, mistakes are made, but I feel great about my ability to coach this baseball program.”
Holbrook said he and Tanner have talked briefly over the weekend. The two will meet more extensively in person once Tanner returns from Southeastern Conference meetings in Destin, Florida.
The Gamecocks (35-25) lost in the NCAA’s super regional round last year and entered 2017 as a consensus top-five team. They opened 17-6 including going 5-1 in their first two SEC series.
Then the bottom dropped out….