Oral contraceptives also known as contraceptive pills consist of synthetic female sex steroids, estrogen and progesterone or progesterone exclusively. The most commonly used are combined oral contraceptives.
Birth control pills prevent unwanted pregnancy through several mechanisms: first prevents ovulation by removing ovum by ovaries. Secondly, it can cause thickening of the cervical mucus, thus forming a barrier against the passage of sperm. Last, but not least contraceptives decrease fallopian tubes motility which by their contraction normally helps the sperm to reach the uterus.
Advantages of contraceptives:
· Reduce symptoms related to premenstrual syndrome;
· In most cases acne is improved;
· Reduce pain and regulate menstrual cycle;
· Effective in the treatment of benign ovarian cysts;
· Reduce risk of benign breast disease;
· Protects you against ovarian cancer.
· Decreased libido;
· Weight gain, in particular during the first cycle of administration;
· Does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases;
· Absence of menstruation;
· Nausea, vomiting, headache;
First appeared pills contained high doses of hormones, but now low doses of estrogen and the use of the latest generation of progestagen reduces the risk of weight gain. However, doctors do not exclude that some women gain a few pounds after taking this pills and in this case an investigation is needed.
Along with antidepressants and some heart medicines, birth control pills can lead to gingivitis, by circulatory changes of tissue that supporting the teeth.
Doctors say that the way a woman’s body responds when using hormonal contraception is an individual problem. The same effect does not happen to all women.
Some antibiotics, depending on how they act, may interact with birth control pills reducing the protection against unwanted pregnancy. And, not least important, this information should be known in case of surgery.
Although most women associate weight gain with…